Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I Can't Believe We Missed the Train!


Coming back from Steve's house yesterday we were one minute late for the Amtrak bus in Salinas and it left without us! We were supposed to take the bus to a train that would run along by the ocean at sunset. I was looking forward to it so much! Instead, we had to wait two hours for another bus that took us to Santa Barbara and then we took a train in the dark to Los Angeles. The only "up" side to this was that Vivian and the boys were so nice to me reassuring me that it was "just one of those things." And now, today, it all seems very distant and unimportant. Funny how that is.

2 comments:

  1. Traveling by bus from Boston to San Diego in the summer of 1974, the smell of the Greyhound sanitizer is permanently lodged in my olfactory! Our upside to our grand adventure was that we saw the country from a different perspective and we left the driving to someone else. Prior to that Greyhound trip, Bruce and I took the bus down to Chapel Hill to see you and he came up with the term "Toadies" which described some of the unsavory characters that accompanied us along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kern, Things haven't changed a whole lot. If I was unkind, I'd say that people who take the bus are either overweight, in the military or smoke a lot. At each stop the smokers charge the front door. At one point they were turned back by the driver and stumble back to their seats grumbling.

    ReplyDelete