Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Indifference of the Ocean


Saturday night we watched this amazing documentary called "Deep Water." In 1968 they had a race to see who could sail around the world alone. I won't spoil the ending, which was epic, but in the film they said that when you are alone on the water you realize the ocean is completely indifferent to you. The next morning we walked to church (yes, walked the 8 miles round trip) and a verse from a hymn stunned me. It seemed to condense the human experience into single line. "Time, like an ever rolling stream, soon bears us all away, we fly forgotten, as a dream, dies at the opening day."

5 comments:

  1. Phil: The verse is something we should all repeat every morning when we wake up.

    However, here's another review. There is only ONE past, but an infinite number of futures that will be different depending on what YOU do today. Our actions cast long shadows, and give each of us a share (sometimes significant) in the future. You have 100 years to help make a better future. Consider it your raison d'etre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you've seen beyond yourself
    then you may find
    peace of mind is waiting there
    And the time will come
    when you see we're all one
    and life flows on within you and without you

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a lighter note... I'm putting this in my Netflix queue or, may choose to stream it if it's available. For those of you who haven't seen "Food Inc." that's a movie that will give you second thoughts about how technology can be used in the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad, Peter, Kern, I am so pleased to get your thoughtful comments. Let me know if you get a chance to see "Deep Water." And I second Kevin's recommendation for "Food Inc" -- a very important movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just added this to my queue. I could've watched instantly, but I wanted to give it more attention than that, don't you know.

    ReplyDelete